One more salad recipe! Since summer is still with us for a few more weeks before we fall into September, I thought that I should offer up another staple for your salad repertoire.
Potato salad is one of those things that everyone has their favourite recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation. There are so many variations: Chunky or Creamy; Skins On or Off; Eggs or No Eggs; Pickles or No Pickles.
The potato salad that Grandma used to make was creamy mashed potatoes with no skins and with no eggs or pickles. Just onions and lots and lots of paprika on top, because what is a creamy salad without that sweet coating of red spice? 😉
Quite the contrary, the potato salad that I am sharing with you today is made with chunky potatoes, with the skins on and with eggs and pickles. However, I did top it with a thin layer of paprika.
I was in the grocery store and I came across a bag of mixed mini potatoes, white, red and blue. I immediately thought that these would make a very visually appealing potato salad.
I love my potato salad with eggs and pickles. They just add such contrast to a potato salad, the egg brings and extra element of richness and the pickles add tang and crunch. I also add red onion and chives instead of a white onion, just to add some colour.
Now, while I was looking in my fridge to gather up my ingredients, (and this will come as no surprise) I saw bacon in the crisper. Hmmm, can I add bacon to a potato salad? I have never had bacon in this type of salad before, but really, that has never stopped me! I grabbed eight slices of bacon, diced them and fried them up crispy to add. Absolutely no regrets here! 🙂
This is a pretty basic salad recipe. I cut the mini potatoes in half and boiled them till they were done. I then added all the extra add-ins and then the dressing. Of course, it is always best to mix your potatoes with your dressing when they are still warm, that way they absorb the flavours of the dressing. If you add your dressing to cold potatoes it will sit on top of the ingredients instead of soaking into them. I have found that any potato salad is always best if it can sit in the fridge overnight before serving.
With just a few weekends of summer left, we should be out there and enjoying good times with family and friends, and of course, great summer food!
- 1.5 lbs mixed mini potatoes, cut in half
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 large dill pickles, finely chopped
- 8 strips bacon, diced and cooked crispy
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Paprika, to garnish
- Cook potatoes on stove until just tender. Drain well.
- Add warm potatoes to a large serving bowl and add in apple cider vinegar, toss well. Add in eggs, red onion, celery, pickles and bacon. Gently toss to combine.
- Mix together mayonnaise, mustard salt and pepper in small bowl. Stir gently into potato mixture. Top salad with chopped chives and paprika.
- Let sit in fridge overnight and serve to friends!