Today the role of guest foodie will be played by Connie’s sister, Cherie.
When I read Connie’s post for ‘Chocolate Brownies’, I felt the need to answer her question of “is there any other kind?”
Well of course there are other types of brownies out there and this is, by far the best Black Bean Brownie recipe that I have come across – and trust me, I have tried a few. Some are too dry, some are too wet and some are just too, well, beany. But this was the perfect consistency for a delicious guilt-free brownie treat.
When I made these, my husband, Dwayne, walked through the door and had two immediate reactions:
Joy: YUMMY – Baked goodies!
Trepidation: What modifications were made to make this recipe ‘healthier’?
Trust me, this is his reaction every time he smells baked goods in our home, unless Connie is visiting and she has access to our stand mixer. 😉
However, once he tried these brownies both my husband and 3-year old gobbled up the tray. They are now in our regular dessert rotation.
You already know that I try to make everything as healthy as I can, but I also want to treat myself and my family too. Using black beans to make brownies is a really a win-win for everyone. The cocoa powder provided just enough chocolate flavour to satisfy anyone’s chocolate craving. And although not really the healthier option, the chocolate chips and Skor bits did provide a level of decadence that the black beans and cocoa powder alone could not satisfy.
Another cool thing when I made these brownies, I used a brownie pan! Connie and I both received one for Christmas from our Mom, but this is the first time I have used mine. Wow, where have you been all my life. This is a great invention; it creates perfect bites of brownie goodness. I totally recommend this for anyone who is making brownies or squares.
Black Bean Brownies, the perfect guilt-free dessert option to please any dessert lover.
Whole Foods Market – Flourless Brownies
- 1 can (19 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup skor bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place all ingredients (except the chocolate chips and skor bits) in the bowl of a food processor and blend until completely smooth, ensure that all beans are completely pureed. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and skor bits.
- Pour into a 8×8 pan (or a brownie pan) that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly puffed and set.
- Cool before cutting into squares (unless you have a brownie pan – then they are already cut for you 🙂 )
One response to “Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies”