In fulfilling my New Years Resolution, I grabbed a cookbook off the shelf in the search of a new chicken soup recipe. As I was turning the pages PB&J Chicken caught my eye. Did that just say what I think it did? When I flipped back I was surprised and intrigued. Peanut Butter and Jam Chicken? Well, I like peanut butter, I like jam and I like chicken, so I had to see how this was going to turn out!
That night Jamie and I were at a house party, and I mentioned in passing to our friends, Laurel & Jeff, that I was cooking PB&J chicken for dinner the next night. The response was mixed, however, both were willing to jump in with both feet to see what the end result would be.
As I started to prep together the ingredients, I noticed that the recipe only called for 1 tbsp of jam. That’s how they did it! In a meal that has 6 large pieces of chicken, stock, vegetables, and peanut butter, you wouldn’t even taste that the jam was there (and we didn’t). But, this would be a really cool way to get your kids to eat something different 😉
As the flavours started to simmer away on our stove-top, it started to smell delicious and similar to numerous Asian dishes that I have tried.
I would definitely make this again, however, I think I would increase the amount of jam that was used. I think it would taste pretty good with a stronger strawberry or raspberry flavour. I would also recommend serving this on a bed of rice or rice noodles.
Adapted from The Big Book of Soups & Stews Maryana Vollstedt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 8 ounces large mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chicken and brown in batches, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to a plate as it browns. Add onion, red pepper and mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Return chicken to Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is no longer pink in the centre (about 1 hour).
- Serve and Enjoy!