I have mentioned on previous occasions that we eat a lot of vegetables. Quite often we take raw veggies in our lunch, but by the weekend, the thought of eating another piece of cauliflower or broccoli is not that appealing. (*Note – The exception to this statement is the awesomeness of Cauliflower Pizza) 🙂
Since we are overly familiar with the cauliflower pizza, I wanted to figure out another way to incorporate vegetables into our weekend fare. As I was sitting on the couch, scouring through cookbooks and cooking magazines, it came to me! It was like an epiphany struck me through the open blinds of the living room window. Cauliflower Broccoli Balls! This was going to be amazing.
This idea stemmed from the deliciousness of the Spinach Bacon Cheese Balls and the tastiness of the Cauliflower Pizza Crust. Both of these items are in regular rotation for us, but what if I took cauliflower and broccoli and made them into an appetizer? Could this actually work? There really is only one way to find out, so off to the kitchen I went!
(Picture it now, me leaping off the couch, recipes flying everywhere and grabbing my apron as I run to the kitchen.) 🙂
I am thankful that I knew to throw the cauliflower and broccoli in the food processor and then cook it in the microwave. If I thought to do this without that prior knowledge, these never would have been cooked through.
As I was gathering up the ingredients I knew that I was going to have to put bacon in these, I mean, it was the weekend after all 🙂
The ingredient list is long, but totally worth it as these were actually pretty good. Jamie actually liked these better than the Spinach Bacon Cheese balls! These would be great served with warm marinara sauce or baked Brie.
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/2 bunch broccoli
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 onion – minced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take florets from broccoli and cauliflower and place in food processor. Pulse until it looks like grain. Place pulsed broccoli and cauliflower in glass bowl and microwave for 8 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter and saute the onion and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked broccoli, cauliflower and bacon. Mix together.
- Next, add in breadcrumbs, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and spices. Mix well.
- Add in onion, garlic and butter mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Enjoy – they are delicious!!!