A few weeks ago we were over at Kim and Ryan’s for an amazing dinner. Kim surprised Jamie with an über delicious Triple BerryCrumble for his birthday. As part of the menu for the evening, Kim made these delicious Spinach Balls. They were very tasty and we ate them all before dinner was served.
This weekend I was thinking about how great they were and I wanted to whip up a batch. Since I had never made them before, I figured they could count as my new recipe for this week 🙂
When I was glancing over the ingredient list I thought something was missing. Something that would take these already flavourful appetizers to the next level. You know what I am talking about; say it with me people – BACON!
Spinach + Bacon + Cheese = Awesome!
I didn’t have any breadcrumbs in the cupboard, but I did have a bag of Panko, so I just used that with some Italian seasoning. It seemed to work out fine. After putting these little balls of goodness in the oven I was cleaning up and noticed the nutmeg sitting on the counter. Oh no, I forgot to add the nutmeg! However, after sampling them, I don’t think I missed it.
These are so good, I can’t say it enough! They are definitely going to be on our regular rotation for an appetizer. I can’t wait to bring them to our next gathering, as I know that they are going to be a hit! These would be a great Sunday morning brunch item.
Thanks Kim, for introducing me to these scrumptious bites of deliciousness!
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & blotted
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small skillet, melt butter & saute the onion & garlic.
- In a medium bowl, mix the spinach, breadcrumbs, cheeses, eggs, bacon, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Add the sauted onions & garlic.
- Shape the mixture 1 inch balls.
- Arrange balls in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes (they will appear lightly browned).