This is a tried and true recipe that I have been making for over four years! It is from the Autumn 2008 issue of the LCBO magazine. Actually, we first made this in the fall of 2008 when the magazine was released. What I love about this dish is that it is a one pot meal. Since everything is cooked in the same dish, it makes cleaning up after dinner a breeze.
I like to make this for dinner guests. Once it goes into the oven, it gives you time to visit and enjoy a glass of your favourite wine before the timer goes off 😉
The ingredients are quite simple: a few spices, some mustard, thyme, lemon and olive oil, all tossed with chicken, leeks and sweet potatoes. Actually, I think that this meal could even be classed as Paleo – bonus!
I have found that we are buying leeks almost every week when we do our grocery shopping. It is like I have discovered a new favourite vegetable. I love how it flavours like an onion, but without being too over-powering.
A lot of the work for this meal can be done ahead of time. You can peel and chop the sweet potatoes a few hours before your friends come over. Sweet potatoes have a definite advantage over regular potatoes, because they don’t turn dark when they are exposed to the air. The leeks can be sliced earlier as well. Remember, to clean your leeks, slice them and place them in a bowl with water. All the dirt from your leeks will settle to the bottom of the bowl. You can even make the mustard paste ahead of time – perfect!
While you and your company are enjoying some appetizers (maybe spinach balls or homemade hummus) you can heat up the olive oil, sear off the chicken breasts, toss everything together and throw it in the oven. That is it!
I usually make this with a bit more liquid than it calls for. You can thicken up the pan sauce and pour it over your chicken. Then take some of your favourite artisan bread to clean up your plate.
I generally serve this with some green beans or mixed greens, as it adds some colour to your plate. It is often said that you taste first with your eyes, so you want to make sure that it looks as delicious as it tastes!
LCBO – Chicken on a Bed of Sauteed Leeks and Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grainy mustard
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 2 leeks, white and light green part only, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (250 mL) chicken stock
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme, mustard, lemon zest and paprika. Reserve 1 tbsp of mixture, and brush the rest over the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add in chicken breasts and cook 2 minutes per side or until browned. Remove from skillet and toss in sweet potatoes. Sauté for 1 minute, add in leeks and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add in chicken stock, lemon juice, reserved mustard mixture and balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil, reduce heat and return chicken breasts to pan. Place the chicken on-top of the vegetables.
- Cover skillet and place in oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Slice chicken breasts and serve over vegetables. Drizzle chicken with pan liquid.