With summer in full swing, I am seeing S’mores everywhere! In the grocery store I see kits for them. On Twitter, everyone seems to have their take on this camp-fire classic. I wanted to make my own S’mores, because nothing says summer like graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate!
I wasn’t sure if I could make my own version, since we are in an apartment, with no balcony and an electric stove. Don’t you need to have an open flame to make S’mores bars? Well the answer is NO! You can totally make these in your oven.
My original thought was to make a caramel sauce to pour over the graham crackers and then top them with chocolate and marshmallows. I had that idea in my head, but I still searched around to find a recipe. I found this one from Anna Olson and when I saw that it incorporated a graham cracker caramel sauce, I knew that it would be a keeper.
Making a caramel sauce and adding in graham cracker crumbs in an experiment in deliciousness! The sauce is very rich, but so good. I have to admit, I enjoyed ‘sampling’ this sauce before building my S’mores. 😉
This is a very easy recipe to make and one that everyone will love. Ooey-gooey layers of graham crackers, caramel, chocolate and marshmallows. For the chocolate I used a mixture of milk and semi-sweet chips.
I couldn’t believe how the marshmallows looked like I had actually toasted them over a fire! They really did look like a camp-fire S’mores!
Jamie and I couldn’t wait to cut into them, but with melted chocolate, caramel and marshmallows, you really have to let them cool completely before cutting them. I tried to cut into the pan when they were still hot, and the melted goodness just kind of spilled out everywhere. Not that I was too upset, just more for us to sample. 🙂
When they were finally cool enough to cut into, we were in sugar heaven! This is a truly decadent treat. These squares are awesome but they are also very, very rich. One (maybe two) squares is all you need to fulfil your sugar craving. I brought in the remaining squares to work, and they actually lasted two days! If you work in an office environment, you know this an anomaly.
If you look at the pictures, you will notice that we threw on the cable Fireplace channel so we could feel like we were enjoying our S’mores around a camp-fire. 🙂 I am not sure if that is cute or just sad?
Anna Olson – S’mores Bars
- Graham Crackers – Whole
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 12-inch square pan. Line pan with parchment paper so that paper hangs over two sides of the pan. Line bottom of pan with a single layer of whole graham crackers.
- In a saucepot, melt butter and stir in brown sugar, cream and vanilla until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in graham cracker crumbs to make a soft paste.
- Spread half of the graham mixture over the cracker-lined pan. Sprinkle with two-thirds of a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and two-thirds of a cup of milk chocolate chips and one and a half cups of marshmallows. Top marshmallows with another layer of whole graham crackers and spread remaining graham mixture over top. Top with another layer of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips (two-thirds of a cup of each) and the remaining marshmallows.
- Bake for 16 minutes, until marshmallows have browned.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Enjoy and don’t forget to share!