This blog post could easily be only four words: “These cookies are amazing!” 🙂
Having only access to two cookbooks is really giving me a chance to scour through them to find new and interesting recipes. This experience has really opened up my eyes to the fact that I likely don’t give my current cookbook collection a chance, I look through and if I am not immediately impressed by a photo or a concept, I flip the page. But with only two books available to me (since the rest have been packed), I have to actually read the recipes to determine if the flavour combinations are something that I want to try. I can’t remember the last time that a month’s worth of my baking has all come from the same cookbook.
Anyway, last week I was passing the time looking for a new cookie recipe. I know, like I don’t have enough cookies in my repertoire 😉 So, while I was flipping through the spiral bound pages of The Designing Women Plain & Simple Cookbook, I found exactly what I was looking for. Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
My first reaction was Amazing – this is all three of my favourite flavours rolled up into one fabulous cookie! I love anything with peanut butter and (for me) the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is absolutely heavenly. Plus, all of my favourite cookie recipes include oatmeal in the batter. How is it that I have never made a cookie with all three of these ingredients???
I will be completely honest with you; I likely ate the equivalent of a dozen cookies in the form of cookie dough. I just couldn’t stop myself. I would scoop out some batter for the pan, but it didn’t seem to find its way to the cookie sheet 😉
Something I find quite amazing about cookies, is when you take them out of the oven, they appear like puffy clouds of cookie goodness, but as they cool, the turn into flat cookies, perfect for dunking.
I ended up bringing the cookies that actually got baked, into work to share with everyone. The undisputed verdict was shared by all who tried these cookies: Absolutely delicious and definitely a recipe worth sharing.
I am still shaking my head that I have never put all three of these flavours together in a cookie before.
The Designing Women Plain & Simple Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together peanut butter and butter. Gradually beat in white and brown sugars. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add in oats, flour and baking soda. Mix all ingredients together until combined.
- Slowly add in chocolate chips and mix until they have been incorporated into the batter. Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the cookies are still soft to the touch.
- Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then remove and place on rack to continue cooling.
- These will be gone before you know it!