Salmon is one of those things that I really enjoy, but when we are in the grocery store I don’t find myself drawn to it. Sometimes I have to be reminded how much I like salmon. Well, coming across this recipe for Coconut Crusted Salmon was one of those reminders.
I was looking to plan a dinner party, but because Jamie and I are trying to stick (more or less) to our low carbohydrate lifestyle, I wanted to host dinner, but have it be low carb-ish. I have never tried to cook an entire meal like this for other people and I wasn’t quite sure what the reaction would be.
I came across this recipe and immediately fell in love with all the flavours. The combination of salmon, lime and coconut seems perfectly summer-y. As I just finished typing out that sentence now I am thinking that canned salmon mixed with coconut and lime would make an amazing burger patty. Maybe throw in some jalapeño peppers? OK, I am definitely getting off track here… 😉
While planning out the meal I knew I needed to have colourful items to serve along side. If this meal wasn’t going to have any starch or bread product, then a couple of sides bursting with colour and taste would have to make an appearance. I went back through some tried and true recipes and settled on Braised Spinach and Tomato Confit. The bright green of the spinach along with the bright red and orange of the tomato would off-set the coconut crusted salmon. Coconut is delicious, but it doesn’t look too exciting sitting on a white plate.
I loved that this meal was so easy to put together. Rinse off your salmon, toss it in some lime juice run it through a quick egg wash and cover it with coconut. Since it is baked in the oven, it gives you lots of time to enjoy a glass of wine while you converse with your friends.
I really need to incorporate more salmon into our diets. Not only is it tasty and delicious, but it is very versatile, as you can eat it hot, cold or at room temperature. It is the perfect brunch, lunch or dinner food. I am definitely going to try the salmon patties that I mentioned above 🙂
Do you have a favourite salmon recipe? Do you prefer it baked or cedar planked? Maybe your favorites can inspire me to have more salmon on our dinner table.
About.com – Baked Coconut Crusted Salmon
- 4- 6 oz salmon filets, boneless & skinless
- Fresh juice of two limes
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rise the salmon off under cold running water. Squeeze lime juice onto each piece piece of salmon. Turn and repeat on the bottom of your filets. Set aside.
- Place the shredded coconut on a dinner plate, and set aside. In a flat bottomed bowl (I use a pasta dish), whisk together the egg with the cold water. Dip each of the salmon pieces in the egg wash, then roll each salmon piece on the plate with the coconut. Using your hands (or a spoon) cover the top of your salmon with coconut.
- Place the salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes, or until browned on the outside and appropriately done in the middle.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy!