Not only is today my first post of 2012, but it is also my husband, Jamie’s birthday! So, I thought that I should make a special breakfast to mark this special occasion.
Of course, since yesterday was New Year’s Day, there were no grocery stores open, so what could I whip up with ingredients out of the fridge? I had a couple of sweet potatoes, eggs and a ham steak. Hmmmm, sounds like the beginning of a sweet potato hash. In order to confirm, I searched for recipes on the internet. I stumbled across this one from Eating Out Loud. When I was reading the ingredient list, I saw apple and was excited, because, yes, I had an apple in the fridge too!
I added a jalapeño pepper to spice it up. It provided a bit of a kick, along with the red chili flakes that were added at the beginning of the cooking process.
If I had to do it all again, I would have had some different coloured peppers to add to the skillet. The sweet potatoes, yellow and orange peppers all ended up being the same colour, but that is OK because this turned out to be a delicious start to our day!
I would definitely make this again, maybe adding a bit more heat or another jalapeño into the pan. I think it would make a great breakfast for dinner option (always a favourite at our place) or it would be nice to cook when you have breakfast guests, as it makes a healthy portion 🙂
You may be surprised that there is no bacon in this breakfast creation, but I hope I redeemed myself by at least adding pork in the form of ham 😉
Happy Birthday Jamie!
Inspired by Living Out Loud Quick & Simple Sweet Potato Hash Allen Williams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into small cubes
- 1 ham steak, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 orange pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- dash chili powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small apple, cored & cut into small cubes
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 eggs
- Heat Olive Oil in oven proof skillet. Sauté sweet potatoes and ham in hot pan 5 minutes. Then add onions, peppers and spices. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add apple and mushrooms and cook on stove top for another 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Crack 3 eggs onto hash. Place in pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until eggs are set.