Well, I am back with another super easy chicken recipe 🙂
Chicken is our go-to dish for any night of the week. We grill it (on an indoor grill), bake it, pan fry it, stuff it, or even throw it in the slow cooker. But, as I am sure you can appreciate, when you eat chicken almost daily, you really need to experiment with flavours or else you will get bored.
I have to admit, I sometimes fall into the trap of cooking the same week-night meals or making the same thing for our lunches, because it is easy. I am sure I am not alone, but as someone who loves food as much as I do, I get bored with the same routine. After a couple of days I start pulling out the cookbooks and looking for something to catch my interest.
This recipe is not a new one for us. We have made it before, but of course, I play with the ingredients just a bit to ramp up the flavours 🙂 I have tweaked this to add more spice and more vegetables. When you serve it with a mixed green salad, you have dinner on the table in no-time. In fact, even with slicing up all the vegetables, this meal was prepared in just 30 minutes.
*Note – Although this is quite similar to the Spicy Baked Chicken recipe that I posted last fall, this does taste different as this is prepared stove-top while the other was baked in the oven. But both are simple, and both are delicious!
Adapted from Low-Carb Recipes Publications International
- 2 tsp taco Seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- dash red pepper flakes
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into long thin strips
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cut into thin strips (seeds removed)
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- lime wedges (optional)
- Mix seasonings together in small bowl, sprinkle over both sides of chicken breasts.
- Heat vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add seasoned chicken and cook for 5 minutes; turn cook for another 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet, tent with foil and rest.
- Add onion to skillet; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all peppers and minced garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken back to skillet and top with diced tomatoes.
- Continue to cook to 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to serving plate; top with vegetable mixture and garnish with lime wedges.